Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sun Apr 6 21:30:40 EDT 2014

>Hi,
>I have just downloaded gnucash .
>Can I put a password on to open the programme up,in order to protect it on the computer from other people opening the account
>Thanks
>Michael

No. That sort of (fake security) password protection isn't provided.

Since you are new to gnucash (and possibly this forum) you perhaps
haven't see the "why not" explained. And while a 'nix user explained to
you how to set permissions in that type of operating system, the fact
that you asked the question implies that you are probably a Windows user.

Let me begin by asking you to think about a couple questions.

1) How can somebody else log on to your computer? (what do they have to
do? what password do they have to know?)

2) Even if they can log onto your computer in their own session, how can
they log in under YOUR session? (without knowing your log in password?)

3) Who are the system administrators? (who on your computer can log into
a session that has administrator rights?)

4) In Windows (xp and higher) unless data is placed in a special area
that is shared by all users it can be accessed ONLY by the user of that
log in (each user has a separate data area) or of course a system
administrator.

In other words, nobody else using your computer who doesn't know your
log in password (except the system administrator) can see your data, not
any of it, and that of course includes your gnucash data. So why would
you want/need another password to specifically protect your gnucash data
from prying eyes? What would you gain? <<please note, ENCRYPTION is
another matter >>

Understand? If somebody can sit down at your computer, turn it on, and
look at ANY of your data, then THAT is your problem, not that they can
look at your gnucash data.

Michael