Mint to GnuCash

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 8 10:28:54 EDT 2014

Hi,

Chris Lonsberry <chris.lonsberry at gmail.com> writes:

>> You need to use !Account
> Thanks Derek. I tried using the !Account tag, but I'm doing something wrong.
> Here's my output transactions. GnuCash won't read these at all.
>
> !Type:Bank
> !Account:CapitolOne Visa
> D3/29/2014
> T-20
> PBART-POWELL QPS 5104646979 CA 94102 US C_OTHERTRAVEL
> LPublic Transportation
> ^

yeah, this is wrong.  The !Account isn't a transaction thing, it's a
meta/state declaration.  I.e., you would do something like:

!Account
<account data here>

!Type:Bank
<account transactions here>

[snip]
> The documentation says it is a header tag rather than a transaction tag, so
> I'm still a little confused as to how that works.
>
> Do you have an example you could sanitize so that I can see how it is used?

Sure, there are a bunch of example QIF files in src/doc/examples in the
gnucash source tree.  You could look at, e.g., every.qif as an example
(although it is showing an Investment account, not a Bank account).

>> You can load more than one file in the QIF importer. This option is
> very close to the start (about the third screen, from memory).
>
> Sorry, poor wording on my part. I meant that I want to load all of my Mint
> transactions into a single file, rather than downloading individual CSV files
> for each account.

I think it was understood what you meant.  The response is more that if
you convert your Mint transactions into multiple QIF files (one per
Asset/Liabitliy account) then you can still load them all into gnucash
at one time because the gnucash qif importer allows you to import
multiple qif files together.