Installation

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 13:14:02 EDT 2014

On 4/8/2014 9:23 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> ngrrsn <ngrrsn at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Sorry.  I use Windows 7.  I finally (after unintalling and installing
>> several times) went to the registry and did a search on *gnu* and then
>> carefully studied each "find".  I deleted anything related to the GNU
>> program, and I was amazed at how many files are not deleted when you
>> "uninstall".  Then I downloaded the program again --- same result.  A
> Well, neither your data files nor your saved settings get removed when
> you uninstall.  This is considered a feature, not a bug!
>
>> network administrator friend told me to 'right click' and select "open as
>> administrator".  That works.  If I just open the program, it fails every
>> time (to save).  If I right click and open as administrator, it works.
>> Rather annoying, but at least I have a solution.
> This implies you have a filesystem permission problem on your system.
> Glad you have a workaround for now, but you might want to fix your
> filesystem permissions.
>
> You'll need to ask someone who actually uses windows how to do that.
>
>> Norm.
> -derek

Just to re-emphasize what we are all trying to tell you, your data file
(not any of the program files) should be located in a folder that does
not require any special permissions other than your permissions as a user.

Many people create a GnuCashData folder somewhere under "My Documents".

If you have created your data file in a restricted folder you will be
leaving yourself open to much grief in the future if you do not move it
out of that folder(or delete it altogether).  When you move the file you
may run into permissions issues, but once that is done you will not need
to run GnuCash as administrator again.

David C