Problem with the GnuCash TXF file (BobF)

Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 11:52:16 EDT 2014

Bob,

---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: BobF <bflora2 at carolinaroad.com>
> To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 12:41:20 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Problem with the GnuCash TXF file
> I'm new to GnuCash (a Quicken refugee) and I really like it. I've imported
> all of my 2013 Quicken business finance data, and I'm now working on my US
> tax return. I have assigned my income and expense accounts to their
> appropriate Schedule C categories by going to Edit > Tax Report Options. I
> generated a tax report which shows all the correct information, and I
> exported the report to a TXF file.
>
> The problem is that when I import the TXF file into TurboTax Home &
> Business
> 2013 only the income portion of the data appears to be imported. The
> correct
> total value is shown for income but no expenses are shown. I've tried
> importing the TXF file into H&R Block Premium and the exact same thing
> happened. I opened the TXF file in an editor and I can see the expenses are
> indeed recorded in the file.
>
> Is this a general problem? Or, does someone know what I may have done
> wrong?
>
> Bob

I maintain this part of gnucash and would very much like to help you with
this. However, there is not enough information in your note so that I can
figure out how. I don't personally use those products or have access to
them.

Because tax season is upon us and the due date is looming, your best bet in
the short-term might be to key in the expense amounts into the tax software
(I believe most of them let you do this through their GUI) using the tax
report as your source and as supporting documentation. Hopefully, this
isn't too tedious and can get you going.

For next year, if you can help diagnose and fix the problem now, maybe we
can get it to work.

Is there any error report that results from your attempt to import the TXF
file into either program? Or perhaps they generate some kind of log? Any
other information you may have that could help me figure out what is wrong?

Regards,

Alex