Managing an overdraft

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonet.ca
Fri Apr 11 12:37:05 EDT 2014

On 11/04/14 09:03 AM, Andrew Riddin wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have an overdraft on my personal cheque account. When I initially setup
> GnuCash, I had an asset account for my cheque account, with a negative
> balance. I then had a separate Liability account for the Overdraft
> facility, with the opening balance equalling the limit of my overdraft. Now
> I have had to increase my overdraft. But when recording this, it affects
> the balance of my cheque account, in that it does not accurately reflect
> the balance, because the increase in overdraft is a deposit, which
> decreases the negative amount.
>
> Can anybody please suggest a better way of doing this?

The overdraft is in effect part of the chequing account, regardless what
your bank, credit union, or caisse populaire shows on your statements.
Why bother with a separate account?  I'd delete the Liability account.
Just for the record, my company maintains an overdraft on the chequing
account, and when drawing from it I merely show the chequing account as
negative.

Cheers

Cam