Redundant copies of transaction splits in report

Donald Muir donmuir.brownlow at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Apr 15 15:57:06 EDT 2014

I entered a deceased person's stockholdings in a single Asset account called "Portfolio". He had 34 holdings, I entered a single transaction with 34 splits into the same account, like this:

Asset Account > Portfolio
     01  Invesco fund       Dr:  8,862.00
     02  Microsoft          Dr: 16,486.75
     34  County Water Co    Dr:  4,901.37
Asset Distribution Account              Cr: 347,050.28

The General Ledger report prints one copy of the entire transaction for each of the 34 splits, plus another copy of the entire transaction in the Distribution account. That's 35 x 35 lines of print - another forest gone and a pint of ink (it will stay electronic until I solve this problem).

Question 1:
     How do I restrict the report to a single line for each holding (split) in the Portfolio account ?

Question 2:
     How can I suppress the Total (Cr) lines from the Portfolio account (I only need it once, in the Distribution Account) ?

It should end up like this:

Asset Account > Portfolio
     01  Invesco fund       Dr:  8,862.00
     02  Microsoft          Dr: 16,486.75
     34  County Water Co    Dr:  4,901.37

Total Portfolio balance                       347,050.28

Asset Distribution Account
     George's Portfolio                     Cr: 347,050.28

Total Distribution balance                   -347,050.28

GnuCash version is 2.6.3, OS is Linux Mint 13 (Maya)

Thanks for any ideas - DM