Gnucash data missing

dansaudio dan at dmohr.com
Wed Apr 16 09:23:50 EDT 2014

Colin Law wrote
> On 16 April 2014 05:22, dansaudio <

> dan@

> > wrote:
>> It turns out that all of the credit transactions (purchases made with the
>> credit card), as well as their corresponding splits, have disappeared.
>> Just
>> to clarify, this is over a 15 month history.  All debit transactions
>> (credit
>> card payments) are still there.  It has happened with four out of five
>> credit cards.
>
> Does the credit card show a huge balance, adding up all the card
> payments with none of the missing purchases?
>
> Do the expense accounts themselves that the purchases were against
> still exist or have the accounts themselves somehow got lost?
>
> Rather than go back to the backup of a couple of weeks ago you should
> be able to find the last working backup in the folder where the data
> file is stored.  They are called something like
> <your accounts file
> name>
> .
> <datetimestamp>
> .gnucash.  Having found the last one that works
> have a look at the log files that come between it and the first that
> is wrong and you may see what happened.
>
> Colin

Yes,there is a huge balance on the credit cards, payments only. And yes, the
accounts the purchases are against are still there, and one of the credit
cards is still intact (1 out of 5 cards).

I found a more recent backup that still works. (I will need to learn how to
open and read the log files when I get back to this.)

In the back ups, there is an anomaly in the file naming occurring
simultaneously with the problem with the data. There appears to be a
timestamp and file extension following the gnucash file extension. There are
a few of these anololies then the file structure returns to normal, but with
corrupted data. I believe this is the root of the problem, but do not
understand yet how this happened. The (I believe to be incorrect) file name
is structured as follows:

<your accounts file name>.<datetimestamp>.gnucash,<datetimestamp>,gnucash

For a log file, the structure is as follows:

<your accounts file name>.<datetimestamp>.gnucash,<datetimestamp>,log

Dan