Multi-Account Journal Entry Import from Excel Spreadsheet?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 24 07:40:13 EDT 2014

Hi,

Please remember to CC gnucash-user on all replies using your mailer's
reply-to-list or reply-all functionality.  This way others get the
chance to see your question (and the answer), or possibly answer faster
than I can personally...

Aaron Lee <alazyguy at gmail.com> writes:

> Wait...  does this mean I can't have multiple accounts on BOTH debit AND
> credit side?

No, it certainly does not mean that at all.  In QIF there is a "primary"
account for the transaction, and then any number of "other" accounts in
the transaction.  Within one transaction you can most certainly have
multiple debits and credits.  However one is "assumed" by the
transaction itself, and all the rest must be listed.

> Does this also mean that II have to map the account manually every time I
> import a QIF?

No, GnuCash remembers the mappings and will apply them next time.
However if you use QIF Categories/Accounts (L for the default split and
S for the secondary splits) that look like GnuCash accounts then there
wont be any mappings to do.  The issue is that AFAIK there is no way for
the Calc2QIF macro to generate those entries in the QIF.

> If so, I might as well just duplicate the General Ledger transaction from
> within GnuCash, and change the dates and numbers every pay period...

Honestly, you're probably better off doing this anyways.  This is
certainly what I do.  I got the paycheck entered in once; then every
subsequent pay period I just use the register autofill to duplicate the
transaction and edit the amounts.  It takes me under 30 seconds to enter
in my 10-12 split payroll transaction.

-derek