Similar GNU cash program needed

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Sat Apr 26 04:09:23 EDT 2014

On Saturday 26 April 2014 00:45:10 Jamestk wrote:
> Geert, I would agree, having accurate data is paramount to load times.
>
> A quick update on the theme changes so far.
>
> Changing the theme selector back to system default didn't really make
> any difference to lag times. Pinning it down the most noticeable and
> easily spotted is between account tabs.
>
> If you open say two account registers then switch to the account tab
> there is a delay.This is almost identical on both machines regardless
> of theme setting.
>
> More than happy to live with this minor flaw now that I know the
> system is reliable and not going to freeze at any stage. As mentioned
> before, this was my main concern where I considered shrinking down my
> data file to improve matters.
>
> Just a thought, is it necessary to run with compressed data files? I
> have tons of free space so not an issue, would this improve response
> times?
It's important here to keep in mind that gnucash loads the complete data
file in memory when the file is opened. So all subsequent data
manipulations happen purely in memory.

Compression overhead hence only matters when initially loading your data
file or when saving it again. As Colin suggests you can test this for
yourself. There is an option in the preferences to enable/disable file
compression.

> > Fred, I can toggle the horizontal lines on/off with the buzzing
> > stopping/starting. I prefer the register with lines off so makes no
> > difference.
>
> Thanks again for all of the helpful feedback. I hope my small donation
> to the tip jar makes up in part fro my griping :-)

That's very generous of you. Thank you :)

Geert