Chapter 8 - investment accounts

Jamestk davidjamestk at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Apr 26 08:02:46 EDT 2014

Here we go folks not too much, but hopefully the screenshots will help convey
my ramblings better.

Ok, on the first image it relates only to the running total which if left in
place moves your entry to the next line, is this correct?

<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4670273/buy.png>

Image two shows the 'sell' side splits screen. The first comment when
looking at the register relates to a double entry for each transaction. If
you haven't looked at the register for a while this can appear daunting in
itself.

The other point which I wanted to make relates to capital gain/loss and how
the figures is calculated. Reading chapter 8.7.1 it appears the calcualtion
is carried out within the transaction itself using the orginal purchase?

At the moment I calculate this manually by going back and subtracting one
from the other - is this the correct method?

*8.7.1. Example - Sale of stock with profit

As an example we will use the AMZN account created in the previous section.
So you bought 100 shares of AMZN for $20 per share, then later sell them all
for $36 per share with a commission of $75.

In the split transaction scheme above, PRICEBUY is $20 (the original buying
price), NUM_SHARES is 100, TOTALBUY is $2000 (the original buying cost),
GROSS_SALE is $3600, and finally PROFIT is $1525
(GROSS_SALE-TOTALBUY-COMMISSION).*

<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4670273/sell.png>

Cheers,

David