Chapter 8 - investment accounts

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 09:17:11 EDT 2014

On 4/26/2014 7:02 AM, Jamestk wrote:
> Here we go folks not too much, but hopefully the screenshots will help convey
> my ramblings better.
>
> Ok, on the first image it relates only to the running total which if left in
> place moves your entry to the next line, is this correct?
>
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4670273/buy.png>
>
> Image two shows the 'sell' side splits screen. The first comment when
> looking at the register relates to a double entry for each transaction. If
> you haven't looked at the register for a while this can appear daunting in
> itself.
>
> The other point which I wanted to make relates to capital gain/loss and how
> the figures is calculated. Reading chapter 8.7.1 it appears the calcualtion
> is carried out within the transaction itself using the orginal purchase?
>
> At the moment I calculate this manually by going back and subtracting one
> from the other - is this the correct method?
>
> *8.7.1. Example - Sale of stock with profit
>
> As an example we will use the AMZN account created in the previous section.
> So you bought 100 shares of AMZN for $20 per share, then later sell them all
> for $36 per share with a commission of $75.
>
> In the split transaction scheme above, PRICEBUY is $20 (the original buying
> price), NUM_SHARES is 100, TOTALBUY is $2000 (the original buying cost),
> GROSS_SALE is $3600, and finally PROFIT is $1525
> (GROSS_SALE-TOTALBUY-COMMISSION).*
>
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4670273/sell.png>
>
> Cheers,
>
> David
>

> --

I am a user with some experience entering security transactions.
I will comment only on the double register entry in your second image.
This is an artifact of the current register rendering code.  There is a
register line for each split line that has the _current__account_ in the
account box.  This is generally true for any transaction that contains
multiple splits in the same account.  If you have a transaction showing
every item in a retail purchase, for example, you will see this there.
This may change when new code that is currently under development is
ready for distribution.  In the mean time, we just expect to see it and
we ignore it.

David C