Chapter 8 - investment accounts

Jamestk davidjamestk at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Apr 27 08:34:35 EDT 2014

Cheers Mike.

I guess it's not really about the classification which will vary from
country to country, but more about how the actual figure is calculated from
an ease of use point of view.

I maybe wrong but the capital gain/loss entries could be omitted, here's
why.

We have the total's for both selling and buying, we also have the associated
costs involved such as brokerage fee's is it not easier to add these up at
the end of the year and then subtract your costs? this is of course if you
don't have to specify per trade what your profit and loss will be.

If you have to do this it might still be easier to export the above figures
to a spreadsheet and perform the calculation there. The figures produced
from the profit/loss calculation are not required to balance any accounts
such as brokerage.

Is this an over simplification?