QIF spec ambiguity in example file

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 14:12:42 EDT 2014

On 4/27/2014 9:26 AM, John Ralls wrote:
> On Apr 27, 2014, at 5:13 AM, twinbee42 at skytopia.com wrote:
>
>> Hi John, I've just been looking over your article on the QIF specification and have been pondering an apparent ambiguity in the "Sample Files" example QIF file at the end. I was wondering if you'd be so kind to help clarify things.
>>
>> Here's the article:
>>
>> http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/browser/gnucash/trunk/src/import-export/qif-imp/file-format.txt
>>
>> After the "!Account" line, we have listed the control chars: N, T, D, Q, T, P, N, L, Y. However, the only control chars listed for the "Account Information Format" are: N, T, D, L, /, and $. So I'm guessing Q, P and Y must be referring to perhaps the control chars from the "Investment transaction format". However that doesn't seem to be made clear (as there's no caret symbol to say the "Account Information Format" section is over.
>>
>> A further piece of confusion arises since T is listed twice ("TInvst" and "T500"), and so T there means two different things. Also, D looks like a date ("D10/30/2006"). However D is also a control char for the "Account Information Format" which should mean "Description". When parsing this algorithmically, how can I tell which one it's supposed to be? A human can obviously tell it's a date, but I'm surprised, since specifications are usually much more rigid as there can be sometimes be numbers (or even a date) in a description if it's simply arbitrary text.

> As it happens, I'n not the author of that file, just the last person to have touched it for a reason unrelated to its content. I don't know much about the QIF spec or the importer. Someone who does can answer your questions on the list.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

I believe a better description of the QIF format is available here:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicken_Interchange_Format>

there is a usage for "T" in the account header as opposed to the amount
in a transaction detail group.

I also recollect something about "Autoswitch" and "Clear Autoswitch"
denoting transitions between sections, but I do not see that in these
descriptions.

Intuit took their description off of their website several years ago.

David C