QIF spec ambiguity in example file

Daniel White twinbee42 at skytopia.com
Mon Apr 28 08:02:32 EDT 2014

Hi Biloti,

It was me who initially wrote the QIF post. Anyway, glad you
sympathize with my problem. I've studied other specs such as
MIDI, CSV, and vCard, and despite being more complicated (other than CSV,
which is nevertheless (in practice) much more involved than one might
expect!),
they seem to at least be clearer on the basics.

People, whether accidentally or deliberately, for good or for bad, tend
to extend, adjust, misuse, or even abuse the specification. It's hard
enough
to write an interpreter when the specification is perfectly concise,
explicit
and non-ambiguous due to people not following the spec. When the spec
itself
is unclear, then we have a potential catastrophe.

Anyway, what may help us to reverse engineer the format is to look for
qif files out in the wild. They seem to be surprisingly few in number
for such a popular format. Type this into Google: filetype:qif

Regards, Daniel