Best way to manage utilities

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Wed Apr 30 02:22:05 EDT 2014

Depends what you want to do. I wouldn't expect Gnucash to, for example,
translate our household energy usage into tonnes of CO2, and graph it
with annotations marking when there were changes in our main
energy-consuming appliances and improvements to our insulation. I also
have it compare the standard flat-rate charge for our electricity that
we currently pay with the price we would pay if we chose a time-of-use plan.

All our utilities except phone/ISP are charged quarterly so the effort
maintaining the second set of figures is minimal.

The utilities spreadsheets have remained unchanged through three changes
of accounting program - spreadsheet cash book, Quicken for Mac, and now
Gnucash.

Peter