Any caveats to creating monthly Expense Accounts?

samalex samalex at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 19:02:51 EDT 2014

For items I pay once a month like Mortgage, Cable, auto loans, etc I have
normal Expense accounts they go into, but does anyone know if potential
issues with me creating a new Monthly Expense column for like Groceries,
Dining, etc where I have multiple items per month?  This way instead of
having one bucket for everything I'll have monthly buckets I can organize
into years and months over time.

Example it might be like this:
Expense - Household - Mortgage
Expense - Household - Cable
Expense - Auto - Loan
Expense - Auto - Insurance
Expense - 2014 - 01 - Groceries
Expense - 2014 - 01 - Dining
Expense - 2014 - 01 - Auto Fuel
Expense - 2014 - 01 - Entertainment
Expense - 2014 - 02 - Groceries
Expense - 2014 - 02 - Dining
Expense - 2014 - 02 - Auto Fuel
Expense - 2014 - 02 - Entertainment
... etc.

This would great a large number of expense accounts over time, but it'd give
a simple way to tell how much is in each expense bucket.  Also we get paid
not on the 1st of the month, generally a few days to a week before the first
so I generally try to mark any expenses after we get paid as the upcoming
month.  Example, if I got paid on 3/27 I'd say everything after this would
be an April expense.  So I can't simply go by date if everything is in one
Expense account.

Anyway, I'm just toying around with this, and I wasn't sure if others had
tried it or if there are any fundamental issues that anyone sees.

Thanks for any advice --
Sam