QIF spec ambiguity in example file

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Apr 30 10:27:22 EDT 2014

On Wed, April 30, 2014 10:13 am, Daniel White wrote:
> Hi Derek,
>
> Thanks for your help - most of the fog is clearing now! Just one thing...
>
>>> Can you confirm whether "!Account" can use 'B', as you said before it
>>> could, but
>>> the URL I gave only lists N,T,D,L (and arguably / $). If so, what is
>>> the purpose
>>> of B?
>>
>> Reading the code, B is "Budget".
>
> Is there a supporting URL for this? I checked the following URLs which
> roughly describe the specification, and no where is B mentioned under
> the "Account Information" section (i.e: "!Account")

The GnuCash source code:

src/import-export/qif-imp/qif-file.scm:

                        ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
                        ;; Account List ;;
                        ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

                        ((account)
                         (case tag
                           ((#\N)
                            (qif-acct:set-name! current-xtn value)
                            (set! last-seen-account-name value))
                           ((#\D)
                            (qif-acct:set-description! current-xtn value))
                           ((#\T)
                            (qif-acct:set-type! current-xtn value))
                           ((#\L)
                            (qif-acct:set-limit! current-xtn value))
                           ((#\B)
                            (qif-acct:set-budget! current-xtn value))
                           ((#\^)
                            (if (not ignore-accounts)
                                (set! current-account-name
                                      (qif-acct:name current-xtn)))
                            (qif-file:add-account! self current-xtn)
                            (set! current-xtn (make-qif-acct)))))

> Wikipedia only lists N and T:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicken_Interchange_Format
>
> The 'official' spec only lists: N T D L / %
> http://web.archive.org/web/20100222214101/http://web.intuit.com/support/quicken/docs/d_qif.html
> http://money.mvps.org/articles/qifspecification.aspx
> http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/browser/gnucash/trunk/src/import-export/qif-imp/file-format.txt
>
> Regards, Daniel

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745