2.6.3 from GetDeb crashing on Ubuntu 14.04

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 17:55:53 EDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 3:43 PM, Jamestk <davidjamestk at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> I gave the following a go but unfortunately it still crashed on exit.
>
> /sudo apt-get purge gnucash
> sudo apt-get autoremove
> enable the getdev repo
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install gnucash
> /
>
> 2.6.1 has a few bugs that were ironed out in later version so I'll probably
> wait. The other thing I noticed both on the Windows and Linux version is
> the
> lock file, it prompts stating the file cannot be locked, open anyway?
>
> Will 2.6.3 end up in the Ubuntu software centre at some point?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

GnuCash 2.6.1 will be the only version ever available in the official
repository for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS ("Trusty Tahr"). See the wiki for details:
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Ubuntu

Ubuntu includes a "backports" repository for out-of-cycle updates, but the
process of getting packages included is slow and cumbersome. Someone would
need to request the latest 14.10 "Utopic Unicorn" package get backported
via their process. (I just checked and Utopic DOES include GnuCash 2.6.3.)

The "Building" wiki page describes a way to "self-backport" an updated
Ubuntu package on your own machine. You should be able to download the
Utopic source packages for GnuCash and backport it for yourself.

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building

OR (has been noted elsewhere) you can use the GetDeb repository.