need help with stock investment reporting

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 1 15:34:42 EDT 2014

Wed, 30 Jul 2014 14:24:42
<1B4CFE37-DA00-4003-AADA-9B3826465880 at editide.us>  John Morris
<johnjeff at editide.us>

[on reporting views of account structures]

>  This is a good example of why an orthogonal tagging system would be
>very helpful. Since GnuCash lacks such a system, I have developed my
>own. I use a pair of slash characters wrapped around my tag in the memo
>or note field to simulate such a system. For example, I might use
>/Alpha/ for the Alpha brokerage and /Beta/ for the Beta brokerage.
>Then, when I want to pull a report by brokerage, I would do a find
>using GnuCash's grep search capability to define the group of
>transactions to use. Of course, the alternative account structure
>suggested originally could be used with tags for each stock: /IBM/ and
>/Apple/, for example. Fortunately, GnuCash does autofill recent memo
>and note entries, so I don't have to worry too much about remembering
>to use the same tag each time.

I'm intrigued.  What are you using as your base report?  If you have
expanded on this previously feel free to point me at a URL

Do you use a spreadsheet at all for, say, asset allocation on a periodic
  basis or have you worked out a way to do it all in GNC ?

===

It occurs to me that something the OP may not know (if he is new to GNC)
is that the account structure is largely independent of the atual
accounts, so

assets:inv:A:IBM

is already a view and

assets:wot-I-own:IBM

isn't any different as far as GNC is concerned (presuming broad account
types are kept together).

--
Wm...