New user with (probably) a stupid question...

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Aug 15 11:48:11 EDT 2014

On Aug 15, 2014, at 8:07 AM, Tracy <gnulist at vbot.org> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am a new user of GnuCash (version 2.4.11 - running on Windows 7, 64-bit). I am a (former) Quicken user, and exported all my data from there and imported it into GnuCash.
>
> The interface and some of the options took a bit of getting used to, but I'm starting to be able to get around and work with the data (including cleaning up some of the "laziness" from when I entered it all into Quicken). But I've run into a couple of questions/issues that I haven't been able to find an answer to.
>
> 1) When using the transaction register, especially when editing a current transaction, is there a way to "cancel" the edit, and leave the original transaction unchanged? As an example, consider that I have opened the Expenses.Miscellaneous register (in preparation for cleaning some of those up) and find the following transaction:
>
> 08/10/2014  <no num>  Circle K
>            <no num>  <no desc>   Expenses.Miscellaneous    40.00
>            <no num>  <no desc>   Liabilities.Current.MCard        40.00
>
> Let's say that I want to change Expenses.Miscellaneous to Expenses.Auto.Fuel. But being fat-fingered, I accidentally start to type over the Liabilities.Current.MCard. Now that account has been replaced when I started typing Ex, and I don't remember what it is. Which is a problem.
>
> How do I "abort" the edit of this transaction? (I know I can close the transaction register, and as long as I haven't pressed Enter or otherwise accepted the change, I'll be prompted to save or discard the change - but that seems a bit drastic.) In other apps, if I pressed the Escape key at that point, the changes I made would be undone, and I would be left with the original transaction... Is there a simple way to have that happen in GnuCash?

Have you tried the "Cancel" button in the toolbar? It's the one with the big red "X".

> 2) Regarding "hot-key" setup. I found a page on the web that gave information about how to set up hot-keys for various actions. I have not yet tried to do this, but I was wondering if anyone could point me at a list of "gotcha's" (things to avoid, or things to be sure are absolutely correct) before I start playing. I don't want to mess something up badly enough that it can't be fixed....

I don't know what are the instructions that you found; the correct ones involve text entries into either a .gtkrc file or .gnucash/accelerator-map. In either case if you mess up you can just delete the former and restore a saved copy of the latter to return GnuCash to its original state.

> [...]
>
> I have verified that I am using the correct user name and password (the same ones I use to access online banking through my bank's web site). However, every time I try to retrieve the list of accounts, I get "Error parsing download" (that message is from memory, and may not be correctly worded - but it doesn't matter as I'm about to show you what is not being parsed correctly). When I turned on OFX logging and I looked at the retrieved information, I find the following (note, user and password information have been <redacted>):
>
> Sending:
> -------------------------------------
> OFXHEADER:100
>
> DATA:OFXSGML
>
> VERSION:102
>
> SECURITY:NONE
>
> ENCODING:USASCII
>
> CHARSET:1252
>
> COMPRESSION:NONE
>
> OLDFILEUID:NONE
>
> NEWFILEUID:20140814223804.000
>

> <OFX><SIGNONMSGSRQV1><SONRQ><DTCLIENT>20140814223804.000<USERID><redacted>
>
> <USERPASS><redacted>
>
> <LANGUAGE>ENG<FI><ORG>Huntington<FID>3701</FI><APPID>QWIN<APPVER>2300</SONRQ></SIGNONMSGSRQV1><SIGNUPMSGSRQV1><ACCTINFOTRNRQ><TRNUID>20140814223804.000<CLTCOOKIE>1<ACCTINFORQ><DTACCTUP>19691231</ACCTINFORQ></ACCTINFOTRNRQ></SIGNUPMSGSRQV1></OFX>

> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN">
> <!-- Copyright (C) 2000 Tivoli Systems, Inc. -->
> <!-- Copyright (C) 1999 IBM Corporation -->
> <!-- Copyright (C) 1998 Dascom, Inc. -->
> <!-- All Rights Reserved. -->
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY>
> <script language=javascript>
> var s="";
> switch(s) {
>  case "0x132120c8":
>      window.location = "/rol/Auth/login.aspx"+"?error="+s;
>      break;
>  default: window.location ="/rol/Auth/login.aspx";
>      break;
> }
> </script>
> </BODY>
> </HTML>
>
> Now, the script shown in the received data would tend to make me think it's an authentication problem, but as I said, I checked the user name and password (multiple times, including making sure they are correctly capitalized, etc). So I am left with the thought that I have something incorrectly set up. But I am not able to find any information that would point me in the direction of what needs to be changed. I can provide any needed details on the setup - just let me know what's needed. Any pointers?

It looks to me like your bank provides OFX Web Connect rather than OFX Direct Connect. GnuCash supports only OFX Direct Connect.

Regards,
John Ralls