Which File To Open-Log File?

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 20:40:30 EDT 2014

On 8/18/2014 3:55 PM, John Donnee wrote:
> Today I used GnuCash and made copies of files as a stored backup.
>
> 1. Went to launch Gnu again and it could not find the file even though I used it this morning.
>
> Question: I see all of the backups on my hard drive. To connect to my latest datafile, is it the large “Log” file that I point too?
>
> a. .gnucash
>
> or
>
> b. .log
>
> Thanks
>

> John Donnee
>
> 910.622.8111
> 8422 Emerald Dunes Rd.
> Wilmington, NC 28411

John,

For some odd reason your message went to my spam folder and I just found
it.  If that also happened to other list members, that may explain why
you have not had a answer yet.

Your regular data file will have a suffix .gnucash.  The .log files are
made automatically by the program every few minutes and essentially
contain only the changes since the last manual save or automatic backup.

If you used Windows Explorer or a third party program to make your
backups, Gnucash should not have had a problem finding your original
file.  If you used the "File>Save as" option, you would need to go back
to your history list under the "File>Open" or manually navigate to the
correct directory to find the correct data file.  Windows users can also
use Windows Explorer to navigate to the data folder and double click the
data file ending in .gnucash to open it.

If you are not using Windows, the procedure may be a little different.

David C