OFX Bayesian import not working for me

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Aug 18 23:43:18 EDT 2014

On Aug 18, 2014, at 2:22 PM, Eliot Rosenbloom <eliot at prosocialleadership.net> wrote:

> Hey -  I have just completed 2 more month-ends: June and July.  I did them separately, to allow learning to happen.  Only about 3 transactions were properly assigned prior to hitting import; ie, I had to assign almost all by hand.  Ie, they were almost all orange, in spite of many similar transactions between months.
>
> I looked for the files, you mentioned, John, both currently and in Time Machine backups from April, when I'm pretty sure it was working.  Results:
>
> No  ~/.aqbanking  file in either case.  (I did enable Show invisible files).
> No plist file in either case.
> AppSpt/GnuCash folder -- It WAS found among my current files (8/16) & on a 5/26 backup.   Looking quickly, they both seemed to have the same contents.
>     It was NOT found in the 4/21 Backup.  I had RECREATED my Home folder (a new account per Apple's instructions on 4/18; and 4/21 may have been before I opened gnucash for the first time thereafter.  I imagine GC may recreate the folder it it doesn't find it.)
>
> I took some screen shots of the Import windows before and after manual assignment in June and July.  Given that they have somewhat personal data I'd prefer, to send them to a couple of people rather than to the whole list / internet, assuming they might be helpful.
>
> Obviously, if I could get the Baysian matching to work again, that would be a huge time savings!  Really appreciate any suggestions you might have.
>
> Eliot
>
> FWIW: I remain pretty foggy about the Preference thresholds -- eg, are they thresholds for matching for assignment purposes, or for non-duplication of transactions already entered into the register.  I'm also foggy about the colored bars and the A, U+R, whatever, columns in the Import Window.
>
> It just occurred to that, although my new account does not have permissions (and could not get them via the "GetInfo" window) to view my TM backups prior to 4/21, I think I may still be able to use my old account to view the older backups.  I will try to look for the files and folder you mentioned (in backups pre 4/21) if you think that might be of value.  [Ed:  I just tried. Probably would be quite hard, since many files were MOVED to the new account, I think, not copied.  I couldn't even log in.  It hung.]

Ah, I spaced that you're using 2.4 instead of 2.6; in that case your preferences are stored in ~/.gconf. As long as they're set correctly it doesn't matter that you lost the old ones when you created the new account. GC does indeed recreate all of the folders if they're missing. Since you're not using AQBanking, how are you doing the imports? OFX downloads?

Regards,
John Ralls