Unplanned GnuCash Network Outage

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 20 13:59:46 EDT 2014

Hi,

You may have noticed that code.gnucash.org was inaccessible starting
this weekend.  This is a report of what happened.

Short story: My router was fried and it took me 2 days to get a
replacement, and the rest of that day to get it configured and deployed.
At this point all services on code.gnucash.org should be operations
except for the IPv6 services.

Long story:

During a thunderstorm my router somehow got fried, most likely a
transference from my cablemodem (because my CM's #1 Ethernet port was
also fried)!  Not having a backup router this kind of took my whole
network offline until I could get a replacement, which included my
personal email and other personal services.

The replacement arrived Tuesday afternoon around 3pm.  I started working
on configuration by 3:30 and got the router deployed somewhere around
6, although I still had a number of routing issues, in particular
sharing across the various virtual networks on my physical network.
Strangely, the systems could all reach the world, just not each other.

Then we lost power (around 7).  Surprisingly my network stayed up, as
did the systems for a while, but I decided to manually shut them down
when the report was that my power would be out for multiple hours.

Power was restored around 10pm and I turned the systems back online
shortly thereafter, and then went to bed.

I fixed most of my internal routing issues this morning.  However as of
this writing my IPv6 tunnel is still down, and one of my networks is
still failing to route properly.  However the latter is unrelated to
GnuCash.

Hopefully I'll get IPv6 back up and running soon.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience that this outage caused.  (Trust me, is
was much more inconvenient for me!)  :-/

Thanks,