KMyMoney vs Gnucash

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 23 04:33:28 EDT 2014

Sat, 23 Aug 2014 09:44:02 <2782782.Nl99BsMnSE at legolas.kobaltwit.lan>
Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be>

>On Saturday 23 August 2014 08:31:48 Wm wrote:
>> Thu, 21 Aug 2014 15:21:31 <20140821152131.408a06e4 at atmarama.ddns.net>
>> Gour <gour at atmarama.net>
>>
>> >Hmm, does you suggestion allow to have two independant counters for
>> >quotes and invoices not leaving holes in either of the sequence
>> >(counting invoices without gaps/holes is required by the law here)?
>>
>> Where are you that document sequences must *legally* be continuous in
>> this day and age?  I'm going to guess Croatia which is now part of the
>> EU unless I'm mistaken.  Since other EU members don't insist on
>> contiguous document sequences how can Croatia?
>>
>> It makes life convenient for both auditors and accounting cheats but
>> serves no other purpose really if you think about it for more than a
>> 60 seconds.
>>
>> Are you sure it is a legal requirement rather than something you'd
>> prefer?
>
>I know my accountant insists on this as well. I'm pretty sure in
>Belgium this this a
>*very* common practise.

I know it is often insisted upon for convenience but is it a legal
requirement?  I think you will find it is not.

If my document sequence is
Geert-yyyy-mm-dd
Gour-yyyy-mm-dd
that is perfectly legal.

The distinction I am making is between legality (which Gour raised and I
am challenging) and preference.

The reason I mentioned the 60 seconds is, what if my business is mainly
on-line and I don't have control of the document sequence?  Does my
business suddenly become illegal if I report honestly and traceably? I
think not.

If anyone is interested in a bit of history I once came across this
non-problem in a system in the 1980's.  Where was document nnn they
asked. I said, it doesn't exist as it was never produced, would you like
me to create a 0 total invoice?  Yes, please was the answer.  5 minutes
later the auditor was happy.

Doh!  Document sequences prove nothing.

I mean, if they did, gnc would be illegal in most jurisdictions because
the actual sequence is a non-sequential guid that most users probably
aren't aware of.

--
Wm...