Windows 7 x64 problem with account tree expand/collapse GUI

Carey Garrenton ctgarrenton at embarqmail.com
Sat Aug 23 17:00:20 EDT 2014

I've been using GnuCash successfully for several years on a Windows XP
32-bit PC.  I've recently tried to move to a new(er) Dell Inspiron 1545
PC running Windows 7 x64.  I've installed GnuCash version 2.6.3 and
copied my gnucash data file to the new system. All appeared to go
without any problems and the app starts and reads the data file without
errors.  As far as I have tested, the (simplistic) operations that I've
used work as expected.

The problem I'm having relates to the expand/collapse operation of the
account tab tree.  When first opened, if I move the pointer over an
account tree triangle, the triangle turns black (as expected). Then, if
I left-click, it turns white, rotates, and the tree below
expands/collapses (as expected).  However, the triangle remains white (I
expected it to turn black again as long as the pointer is still over
it).  Moving the pointer around in the window and then back to any of
the triangles does not cause any triangle to turn black, and
left-clicking a white triangle "selects" the line rather than
expanding/collapsing the tree.

The only way to "re-arm" the expand/collapse function is to either move
the pointer completely outside of the GnuCash window then back to a
triangle, or to click somewhere away from the triangle(s).

Other applications that do similar operations have no such problems.

I've checked and updated the Alps touchpad driver file, and have tried
using a USB mouse in place of the touchpad, but the problem symptoms do
not change.

I've uninstalled 2.6.3 and  installed version 2.4.15; but the symptoms
are the same, so I've gone back to 2.6.3.

I've installed version 2.6.3 on another PC running Windows Vista 32-bit,
and it does not have this problem.

Suspecting that this may be a library compatibility issue with the
Windows base libraries, I've checked the versions of several that I
thought might be involved.  The versions I'm using are as follows:

Library
	Version
msvcrt.dll
	7.0.7601.17744
gdi32.dll
	6.1.7601.18539
user32.dll
	6.1.7601.17514
comctl32.dll
	5.82.7601.18201

I've checked the Bugzilla bug list as well as this GnuCash user email
list, but can find no one else reporting these symptoms.  This is not a
show-stopper issue, but is very annoying to me and indicates that
something is broken (at least in my system).

Carey