How does one change the number of decimal places in stock account?

Richard Dawson rcdawson at att.net
Sat Aug 23 11:24:00 EDT 2014

On Friday, August 22, 2014 10:13:18 PM you wrote:
> On Aug 22, 2014, at 8:30 PM, Richard Dawson <rcdawson at att.net> wrote:
> > I have an existing account that displays five decimal places in the number
> > of shares column.  The company holding the account has now changed to 6
> > decimal places, and I would like to keep my tally equal to the tally on
> > my statements.
> >
> > So, I edited the account and changed the "smallest fraction" setting from
> > "Use Commodity Value" to 1/1000000.  I then attempted an entry.  All
> > seemed OK, except when I completed the entry it refused to update the
> > running balance. It just leaves the balance field blank.
> >
> > I set the smallest fraction back to Commodity Value, and I was able to add
> > entries and see the balance increment accordingly.
> >
> > How can I change the number of decimals displayed for Shares added in a
> > transaction and for the running blance of shares?
> >
> > You may wonder why one should fuss so much over a few millionths of a
> > share, but when your total number of shares is as small as mine a few
> > millionths is important!
>
> Try editing the commodity's smallest fraction using Tools>Security Editor.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Unfortunately editing using tools>security editor gives the same result as
Edit>Account.  Changing the smallest fraction to 1/1000000 allows me to input
six decimal placed numbers in the "Shares" column, but the balance field
remains blank, even after I click the plus button to complete entering the
transaction.

Interestingly, once I enter a transaction with the smallest fraction set to
1/1000000, that transaction can no longer obtain a balance, even if I reduce
the number of digits in the entry to 5 or even go back and change the smallest
fraction for the account to 1/00000

richard