How does one change the number of decimal places in stock account?

Richard Dawson rcdawson at att.net
Tue Aug 26 13:55:12 EDT 2014

On Monday, August 25, 2014 08:51:34 PM Robin Chattopadhyay wrote:

Here's another suggestion that I tried and seems to have worked:

1. Under the Security Editor, change the Symbol for the security at issue. From PII to PII.old
for example
2. Again, using the Security Editor, create a new Security with the correct number of
decimals 1/1000000 in your case
3. Edit the Stock Account at issue and change the Security/Currency to the new Security
you created in step two. When I did this, I change from 1/1 to 1/1000000 and was then
able to enter a purchase for 0.000005 shares and have it display the total share balance
correctly.

HTH,
Robin

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 8:15 PM, Richard Dawson <rcdawson at att.net[1]> wrote:

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 08:12:38 AM John Ralls wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2014, at 7:30 AM, Richard Dawson <_rcdawson at att.net_> wrote:> > On
Friday, August 22, 2014 10:13:18 PM you wrote:> >> On Aug 22, 2014, at 8:30 PM,
Richard Dawson <_rcdawson at att.net_> wrote:> >>> I have an existing account that
displays five decimal places in the> >>> number> >>> of shares column.  The company
holding the account has now changed to 6> >>> decimal places, and I would like to keep
my tally equal to the tally on> >>> my statements.> >>>> >>> So, I edited the
account and changed the "smallest fraction" setting> >>> from> >>> "Use Commodity
Value" to 1/1000000.  I then attempted an entry.  All> >>> seemed OK, except when I
completed the entry it refused to update the> >>> running balance. It just leaves the
balance field blank.> >>>> >>> I set the smallest fraction back to Commodity Value,
and I was able to> >>> add> >>> entries and see the balance increment accordingly.>
>>> transaction and for the running blance of shares?> >>>> >>> You may wonder
why one should fuss so much over a few millionths of a> >>> share, but when your total
number of shares is as small as mine a few> >>> millionths is important!> >>> >> Try
editing the commodity's smallest fraction using Tools>Security> >> Editor.> >>> >>
Regards,> >> John Ralls> >> > Unfortunately editing using tools>security editor gives
the same result as> > Edit>Account.  Changing the smallest fraction to 1/1000000 allows
me to> > input six decimal placed numbers "Shares" column, but the balance field> >
remains blank, even after I click the plus button to complete entering> > the
transaction.> >> > InOn Monday, August 25, 2014 08:51:34 PM Robin Chattopadhyay
wrote:

Here's another suggestion that I tried and seems to have worked:

1. Under the Security Editor, change the Symbol for the security at issue. From PII to PII.old
for example
2. Again, using the Security Editor, create a new Security with the correct number of
decimals 1/1000000 in your case
3. Edit the Stock Account at issue and change the Security/Currency to the new Security
you created in step two. When I did this, I change from 1/1 to 1/1000000 and was then
able to enter a purchase for 0.000005 shares and have it display the total share balance
correctly.

HTH,
Robinterestingly, once I enter a transaction with the smallest fraction set> > to> >
1/1000000, that transaction can no longer obtain a balance.>> Please remember to copy
the list on all replies, using "Reply all".>> Looks like you've found a bug.> What happens
if you close that register page and reopen it?>> What version of GnuCash, and what OS?
If GnuCash isn't 2.6.3, can you> upgrade and retest?>> Regards,> John Ralls

I managed to get 2.6.3 installed on a second computer running Linux 2.6.3.  (Ididn't want
to disturb an otherwise functioning version.)  I was unable tofollow the instructions at
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building#Ubuntu[2]  forinstalling from source; Maybe I was
able to follow, but it just didn't work.Eventually I installed a new repository using the
command sudo add-apt-repository ppain-muench/programs-ppa.

2.6.3 ran OK, but still I cannot change the number of decimal places in anestablished stock
account.

On Monday, August 25, 2014 08:51:34 PM Robin Chattopadhyay wrote:

Here's another suggestion that I tried and seems to have worked:

1. Under the Security Editor, change the Symbol for the security at issue. From PII to PII.old
for example
2. Again, using the Security Editor, create a new Security with the correct number of
decimals 1/1000000 in your case
3. Edit the Stock Account at issue and change the Security/Currency to the new Security
you created in step two. When I did this, I change from 1/1 to 1/1000000 and was then
able to enter a purchase for 0.000005 shares and have it display the total share balance
correctly.

HTH,
Robin

Robin's suggestion didn't work for me.  Perhaps I missed something in the instruction.

I was able to change the symbol for the old security and create a new security with the
original symbol and six decimal places.  When I edit the old security to change its
Currency I find no option for editing Currency, only Name, Symbol, Type, and Fraction.

Unable to change Currency, I plowed ahead anyway.  Of course, when I attempted to set
the Symbol for the "old" entry to the symbol of the new entry  (In my case from VOD.old to
VOD, the system complains that there is already a security with that symbol and doesn't
let me proceed.  The net result is that I now have my transaction data under symbol
VOD.old and a VOD security with no transaction data.

Easily corrected by deleting the empty security and then changing the symbol back for the
original security.  Still five decimal places, unfortunately.

Richard

--------
[1] mailto:rcdawson at att.net
[2] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building#Ubuntu