Questions

Andrew Ralph andrew.ralph at me.com
Sun Aug 24 07:28:33 EDT 2014

New to gnu cash having a few issues

1) I can't save my accounting files into a folder that is easily accessible! I follow steps to "save as" either in an existing folder or try and create a new folder and nothing is saved. The only place I can retrieve is either from the 4 recent files in "file" drop down or from "File"  "open" > Places> folder "/" and then scrolling down "Name" the multitude of .gnucash saved accounts (documents) and hope the one I pick is correct the number of these saved documents is getting bigger and bigger and things are getting increasingly more difficult to find. Also some data that I try to open comes up with an error message "no back end" Please explain how I can save my files to an easily accessible folder.

2) How do I delete the trial and experimental files I have created

3) I have created 1 file that has 3 different bank accounts for 3 different rental properties and one bank account that has personal income and rental information for another property. I have been successfully importing data directly from the banks. I have set up a customized account tree to capture income and expense for each property and personal Income. The financial year for me is April 1st to March 31st. Can I, should I continue to just add information chronologically and extract accounts specifically for this period or should I make a separate file for each year from April to March. If it would be better to keep annual accounts can I then transfer data already entered to a new file. I have been able to create a new blank set of accounts but again have been unable to save them to a common named folder see 1)

Any help on these questions would be very much appreciated

Regards Andrew