Questions

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 09:16:21 EDT 2014

On 8/24/2014 6:28 AM, Andrew Ralph wrote:
> New to gnu cash having a few issues
>
> 1) I can't save my accounting files into a folder that is easily
> accessible! I follow steps to "save as" either in an existing folder
> or try and create a new folder and nothing is saved. The only place I
> can retrieve is either from the 4 recent files in "file" drop down or
> from "File"  "open" > Places> folder "/" and then scrolling down
> "Name" the multitude of .gnucash saved accounts (documents) and hope
> the one I pick is correct the number of these saved documents is
> getting bigger and bigger and things are getting increasingly more
> difficult to find. Also some data that I try to open comes up with an
> error message "no back end" Please explain how I can save my files to
> an easily accessible folder.
>
> 2) How do I delete the trial and experimental files I have created
>
> 3) I have created 1 file that has 3 different bank accounts for 3
> different rental properties and one bank account that has personal
> income and rental information for another property. I have been
> successfully importing data directly from the banks. I have set up a
> customized account tree to capture income and expense for each
> property and personal Income. The financial year for me is April 1st
> to March 31st. Can I, should I continue to just add information
> should I make a separate file for each year from April to March. If it
> would be better to keep annual accounts can I then transfer data
> already entered to a new file. I have been able to create a new blank
> set of accounts but again have been unable to save them to a common
> named folder see 1)
>
> Any help on these questions would be very much appreciated
>
> Regards Andrew

You do not say what version of GnuCash you are using or what OS you are
using, or whether you read the manual.  The Basics section of the
Tutorial covers most of these topics reasonably well.

Regardless, in all cases, as far as I know, if you start GnuCash from a
program Icon, it starts with the data file that was open when you closed
the program.  So, last used works most of the time.  Read the manual or
the website FAQ for a discussion about all those file names and suffices.

Further, the complete tree above the current folder should be in the 2nd
line of the File>Open box.  From the mention of the forward slash I
suspect that you are not using Windows, so, as I am a Windows user, I
cannot address problems specific to your OS.

There can be some issues if you are not saving your data in your user
area on your primary hard drive.  If that is the case you need to be a
little more specific about your problem.

David C