Extra Notes

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Aug 26 10:10:37 EDT 2014

Hi Dick,

As I said in my original email, I'm not a scheme expert, and you really should
include the list in your replies, because there are others in the list who
know far more than me about the internals of GC.

More inline...

On Tue 26 August 14 09:41:05 Richard Barmann wrote:
> On 08/26/2014 03:58 AM, Maf. King wrote:
> > (string-expand (opt-val "Display" "Extra Notes") #\newline "<br>")
>
> I am using GC 2.6.1 and have Ubuntu.Kubuntu 14.04
> I find the above string on line 1007 of the striping-invoice.scm file. I
> have five of these files. Can I delete four of them? they are identical.

They must have different names if they are in the same directory.  If they are
5 copies of the same file but in different directories, are you sure you know
which one GC is using?

> When I enter the change on the above string it is in the file when I
> close and open it. but it does not show up in the Invoice. The date on
> the file does not change. Am I saving it wrong?

If your GC is anything like mine, the report definition file is in a place
where normal users can't write.  Do you know what the full path is to the file
(possibly /usr/share/gnucash/guile-modules/gnucash/report/... or similar)?

You may have to have root permissions to change the scheme file (although I'd
expect your editor to throw a warning that it can't save if that is the case)

> Should the
> #\newline be deleted?
> When I get it right I want to have the line read "For Quotes: If this is
> satisfactory please initial here_____________and return a copy to me for
> scheduling."
> Below is what I now have in the file at line 1007.
>
> (gnc:html-document-add-object!
>         document
>         (gnc:make-html-text
>          (gnc:html-markup-br)
>          (string-expand (opt-val "Display" "Extra Notes") #\newline
> "<b>Initial here>/b>")
>          (gnc:html-markup-br))))
>
> Thank you

I've done some more digging, try this new addition to the stanza you quote
above (this actually works for me in invoice.scm!)

    (string-expand (opt-val "Display" "Extra Notes") #\newline "<br>")
    (string-append (_ "FooBar Test"))

HTH,
Maf.