Windows 7 x64 problem with account tree expand/collapse GUI

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 13:41:29 EDT 2014

On 8/26/2014 5:27 AM, Dave H wrote:
> On 25 August 2014 00:46, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 23, 2014, at 8:16 PM, Carey Garrenton <ctgarrenton at embarqmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks John.
>>>
>>> I'm curious to know why the same gtk functions don't exhibit the problem
>> with Windows Vista or XP?
>> Heh. If I knew that I might be able to fix the stupid bug. I imagine that
>> it has something to do with differences in event handling between Win7 and
>> its predecessors.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>

> Just to make it a bit more interesting for you both I am running 2.6.3 on
> Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit and do not have the issue described by Carey.  If I
> move the mouse cursor over one of the triangles it turns black and if I
> left click on it, it turns white and then rotates, the category expands and
> the triangle turns black again until I move the mouse cursor off the
> triangle when it turns white again.
>
> No problems either with clicking on it again immediately to collapse the
> hierarchy one again.
>
> Cheers Dave H.

I am going to ramble here to see if I trigger any useful thoughts on
this issue.  Since I do not know what is under the hood in GnuCash, it
may or may not apply.

On my two installations of version 2.4.13 in Windows 7 Professional 64
bit in the Accounts window the triangles seem to correctly honor the
fly-over behavior i.e., they are black while the mouse curser is
hovering over them, otherwise they are white.  If I left click, I see
them turn white for an instant before rotating to the other position
with the black fill, but then turn white again when the mouse curser
moves away.  The resulting action from both left clicks and right clicks
is always as expected.  This is identical to Dave H's case.

I think that I have the default graphic themes for both Windows 7 and
for GnuCash, but I am not sure, as I play with those features so rarely
that I don't even remember how to check.  I wonder if the problem only
appears for certain graphic themes or for certain mouse/pointing device
drivers?

Since it sounds like the signal to the program that the mouse curser has
moved over or away from that object is not working correctly, like
Carey, I would also look elsewhere outside of the GnuCash program.  One
of my Windows 7 computers is using a Logitech wireless mouse, the other,
a Microsoft wireless mouse and a touch-pad.
If the GnuCash code uses the fly-over state signal in any place other
than for setting the state of the object appearance, this may be where
to look for issues of program behavior.  Am I correct that the mouse
button click signal is supposed to be completely independent of the
fly-over signal for these graphic objects?  Could this also be a factor
in the long-standing problem that appears in the account selection
section of report configuration where sometimes the selections get reset
too easily?

I am planning to try version 2.6.3 on one of these machines soon, but I
need to do a few other things first, so I do not have a date set for that.

David C