Start up problems

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Aug 29 03:51:43 EDT 2014

Hi Joseph,

It looks like I was giving too much information at once, which confused you.

You reported several problems and you received several answers to it.

The crash is of course not a cosmetic issue. The reference to "cosmetic" was in the context of
removing unused files from the "most recently used files" list under GnuCash' File menu. That is
totally unrelated to your crash though.

On Friday 01 August 2014 13:20:56 JOSEPH AIELLO wrote:
> Start up problems.

I note you have set a title for your mail. Good! As a side note, unrelated to your real questions,
it would help the mailing list even more if instead you set the subject of your e-mail to this title.
In most e-mail programs the subject line is a separate field close to the address fields (where
you enter the recipient's mail address).

> ref # 1
> IN creating a file (test55), I followed the default settings for the
> set-up.Test55 is not in programs  files(x86)\gnucash\bin.  I  don' t
> know where it is.
> In using "Search programs and files", I can't find
> any ref to to Test55.
The screenshot does suggest it's under
c:\Program Files(x86\gnucash\bin
If it is no longer there, you likely removed it when you reinstalled gnucash as you explained in
your previous post.

One way to find out where your file is saved is this:
- Open GnuCash - this should open your file automatically
- If you get the message about the lock file, that message tells
  you exactly where your file is stored on your system.
- If you don't get that message, you can go to
  File->Save As...
=> The save as window will open and you can read the directory in which your file is stored
behind "Save in folder". You may have to widen the window to see the full path (which should
start with a "\"). The only tricky bit is that the drive letter is omitted. In your case this is most
likely on drive "C".
I have attached a screenshot of the save as window on my test system and have marked where
you can read the folder name. In my case it's under
\Development\gnucash\testdata.

To leave the save as window you can hit cancel in this case.

Will this help you find where you saved your data file ?

> I can still activate the file under Gnucash,
> but when trying to prepare a report, it still crashes. How can I
> clean out unused files?
Unrelated to your "Where did I save my file ?" question you are also telling that gnucash
crashes when you are trying to prepare a report. I'll focus on that part now.

The information you have given so far unfortunately is not sufficient to understand why the
program is crashing. You can help us by providing a trace file that was generated while gnucash
crashed. You can learn where to find the trace files here:
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile

You will likely find multiple trace files so it may be difficult for you to select the right one. So I
propose you delete all the trace files you find, then start gnucash and deliberately make it
crash by preparing a report. Right after that, attach the single new trace file to your reply here.

Will that work ?

Geert