Import Transactions via CSV including transfer accounts

airwalker mail at nikno.de
Sun Aug 31 06:28:54 EDT 2014

Hi,

I am using gnucash 2.6.3 in Windows 7 and I would like to import a huge
amount of transactions I downloaded from my bank as a CSV file. This file is
a bit messy, so I wrote a python script to clean it up in a way such that
gnucash understands it easily. When I import it into gnucash into my
checking account, all transactions are displayed correctly, but of course
there is no second leg of the transaction, i.e. the "Transfer Account" is
just "Imbalance". This means I have to manually enter the correct transfer
account for each transaction manually. Of course gnucash cannot know what
the correct transfer account is, but for almost all these transactions my
python script could easily calculate it from the description of the
transaction and write it into the CSV file, which brings me to my question:

Is it possible to import transaction data via csv including the transfer
account? (or even both accounts)

If not, is there any other way to import transaction data including the
accounts?

I imagine the transaction journal and I would like to import exactly the
data necessary to produce an entire entry there like

Date              Description      Account                    Deposit
Withdrawl
2014-08-31    Chocolate        Checking Account                     10,00
                                         Expenses:Sweet        10,00

I am aware of the fact that gnucash has some way to "learn" what the correct
transfer accounts are, but this does not work well in my case and since I
don't trust that logic I would have to check manually if it did it
correctly, which would be almost as much work as doing it by hand.