problem migrating gnucash to gnucash

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Dec 8 16:31:49 EST 2014

At Mon, 8 Dec 2014 14:31:44 +0000 (UTC) "Fr. Juvenaly" <juven_29 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Greetings,I began using gnucash several years ago with Linux Ubuntu. A few
> days ago, I installed a new version of Ubuntu (14.04) separately on my
> system alongside the old setup (v. 12.02). The old setup was corrupted so
> that you couldn't upgrade or install any software.
> Running the old version of gnucash in the old setup, I exported/backed up
> the gnucash data. The only format for export was XML. So I used that, of
> course.
> Now, in my new setup, I've downloaded the latest version of Gnucash. It's
> version 2.6.1.  There are many ways to import data, but among the choices
> there is no choice to import data in XML format. Therefore I'm not able to
> import my backed up data from the old setup.
> Does anyone know how I can resolve this problem and import my old data
> simply and easily?

Just copy the data file(s). There is no need to 'export' or 'import'.
Somewhere you stored your account data and there should be a whole pile of
files with names that look like:

filename.<digits>.log and filename.<digits>.xac

along with a file named filename.  Just copy the base file name to the new
file system.  (The other files are backups and logs -- you can copy them or
not, depending on whether or not you want to keep the logs and backups.)

You will also have a directory in your home directory named .gnucash which has
stuff like your preferences.  ~/.gnucash/books/ contains pointers to where
your data lives, in case you don't remember or are not sure: replace the %2F's
with slashes to create the file pathname of the file you should copy to your
new system tree.

Actually XML is just GnuCash's native data format.  The 'export' option only
exports the account tree bare of any transactions and is only meant as a way
create 'template' GnuCash data file with the same account tree as the current
file.

> **Please reply directly to my email since I'm not a member of this group**
>
> Thank youJuvenaly

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933