using account numbers in gnucash

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 08:37:06 EST 2014

On 12/18/2014 10:34 PM, Wm wrote:
> Thu, 18 Dec 2014 21:47:41 <54939FDD.1020207 at gmail.com>  David Carlson
> <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com>
>
>> My account numbering is only for my convenience, nobody else's.
>
> Glad we cleared your independence up.  If you want to explain how you
> developed your individual numbers, feel free.
>
>> I find
>> it much easier to enter a six digit number on a numeric keypad than to
>> enter a sequence of letters separated by colons on a full keyboard.
>
> Even if that isn't how gnc was designed to work?
>
>> What works for you is different, obviously.
>
> Yes, I'm in accord with gnc and how it works rather than fighting it.
>
> I'm happy to listen to you.

Sorry, but according to chapter 5.2 in the GnuCash manual :

"Note that accounts not only have names; they may have codes, to order
the accounts. When a report is generated, the sort order is determined
by the numbering. It’s customary to have the leaf accounts end in
non-zero digits, while parent nodes have increasing numbers of zeros."

GnuCash _is_ designed to use account numbers.  They can be used both for
data entry and for reporting.  Lucky for you in GnuCash they are
optional, not mandatory as they are in some other accounting programs.

David C