using account numbers in gnucash

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 19 10:34:37 EST 2014

Guys,

David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry, but according to chapter 5.2 in the GnuCash manual :
>
> "Note that accounts not only have names; they may have codes, to order
> the accounts. When a report is generated, the sort order is determined
> by the numbering. It’s customary to have the leaf accounts end in
> non-zero digits, while parent nodes have increasing numbers of zeros."
>
> GnuCash _is_ designed to use account numbers.  They can be used both for
> data entry and for reporting.  Lucky for you in GnuCash they are
> optional, not mandatory as they are in some other accounting programs.

Just for a little history:

GnuCash has *always* had account numbers in the data structures, and it
has always used it for account sorting (as a way to override the
alphabetical default ordering).  This has been there as long as I can
remember, certainly back to GnuCash 1.2.

Being able to use those account numbers for input is a newer feature
(added somewhere like 2.4).

As most things in GnuCash, the feature is optional.

Happy Holidays!