using account numbers in gnucash

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 21 08:33:22 EST 2014

Fri, 19 Dec 2014 07:37:06 <54942A02.5020001 at gmail.com>  David Carlson
<david.carlson.417 at gmail.com>

>On 12/18/2014 10:34 PM, Wm wrote:
>> Thu, 18 Dec 2014 21:47:41 <54939FDD.1020207 at gmail.com>  David Carlson
>> <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com>
>>
>>> My account numbering is only for my convenience, nobody else's.
>>
>> Glad we cleared your independence up.  If you want to explain how you
>> developed your individual numbers, feel free.
>>
>>> I find
>>> it much easier to enter a six digit number on a numeric keypad than to
>>> enter a sequence of letters separated by colons on a full keyboard.
>>
>> Even if that isn't how gnc was designed to work?
>>
>>> What works for you is different, obviously.
>>
>> Yes, I'm in accord with gnc and how it works rather than fighting it.
>>
>> I'm happy to listen to you.
>>

>Sorry, but according to chapter 5.2 in the GnuCash manual :
>
>"Note that accounts not only have names; they may have codes,

OK, I'm sorry to have to say this but that is a language thing.

In english MAY is an option

>to order
>the accounts.

It is an option, I don't use them unless it helps me or the org I am
working for.

>When a report is generated, the sort order is determined
>by the numbering. It’s customary to have the leaf accounts end in
>non-zero digits, while parent nodes have increasing numbers of zeros."

Custom needs a place.  I do not recognise the place, you must state
where it is.

>GnuCash _is_ designed to use account numbers.

Explain, please.

I have a set of accounts with no account numbers at all.  Not a joke or
challenge, a statement of fact.

> They can be used both for
>data entry and for reporting.

Note again you say CAN rather than need to be.

>  Lucky for you in GnuCash they are
>optional, not mandatory as they are in some other accounting programs.

Ah, now we get to the nub.  You think gnc should have compulsory account
numbers because another bit of software, possibly in another
jurisdiction has similar rules?

I say that since I don't need them you don't either.

If you are foolish enough to be dumb and obedient use whatever software
you like.

All I ask is that you don't pretend it is necessary or compulsory.

--
Wm...