crash in 2.6.5 (Windows) on Actions->Check and Repair->All Transactions

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Dec 31 03:55:35 EST 2014

On Tuesday 30 December 2014 21:25:03 David Beattie wrote:
> Hi developers (and anybody else who may be reading),
> I just installed GnuCash 2.6.5.  I waited out the reports of 2.6.4
> user-interface crashes, so I've been using 2.6.3 until today. I was
> excited to clean up my Accounts Receivable & Accounts Payable
> registers using the Business Lot scrubbing feature included (as of
> 2.6.4) in the "Check and Repair" functionality.  Unfortunately, when
> I tried the "All Transactions" option, GnuCash went away for about 10
> seconds, and then crashed. I was able to clean up the registers,
> successfully, one transaction at a time, by highlighting each
> unwanted "Lot Link" and using Actions->Check and Repair->This
> Transaction.  This worked perfectly, correctly converting payments in
> both the simple case (one payment per invoice) and the more complex
> cases that I saw (one payment for several invoices). I was also
> wondering if it was a problem with running out of allocated data
> structure size, or resource leakage, etc., considering that I have
> about 5 years of near-daily data in my Accounts Receivable.  However,
> after cleaning Accounts Receivable manually, I moved on to Accounts
> Payable, where I have only about 3 years of data and only about 3
> transactions paid every month... i.e., a much smaller data set.
>  Unfortunately, GnuCash crashed when I tried the "All Transactions"
> cleanup in this case too. This is not causing me a problem, since I
> can work around it by cleaning up each transaction individually.  But
> I thought I should report it for completeness, and in the interest of
> helping this "product" become robust enough that hopefully millions
> of people can use it some day. Regards,
> David Beattie

Hi David,

Thanks for reporting this.

I have experienced this crash as well. Unfortunately only after 2.6.5 had been released. I have a
fix ready to be released [1] with the next gnucash version.

The crash only happens if you use Check & Repair from an open register page. You can also
select (highlight only, not open) your AP or AR account on the Account Hierarchy page and then
use Check & Repair Account from there. That should be an easy work around which avoids the
code that crashes.

Regards,

Geert

[1] https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commit/efc8544ff97bf732ae927