Payees tracking

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Dec 31 12:02:17 EST 2014

> On Dec 31, 2014, at 7:09 AM, Matt Kowske <jmk at cmail.nu> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I can't seem to find any functionality in GnuCash that mirrors the
> "payee" field in other personal finance software. There is a description
> and memo that you could easily put a payee name in there -- is that what
> most people do or the general recommendation? I would like the ability
> to report on spending for a particular payee. Are there plans to add
> this or no? I do worry a little about my ability to consistently enter
> the payee name so that reporting would be effective.

There are two free text fields on transactions, "Description" and "Notes" and one, "Memo" on splits. You must set the register to 2-line view in order to see the notes field and split view to see the memo field. All are searchable and filterable. You can use any of them for anything that you like, though GnuCash uses the description for account matching and auto-fill so you might want to keep that in mind when using it. The "num" field on splits and "action" field on splits are also free text; num affects sorting of transactions and action is used by some automatic functions so they're not entirely free.

There are no plans to add any more text fields.

Regards,
John Ralls