Support Assistance

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 31 12:23:56 EST 2014

Wed, 31 Dec 2014 16:05:00
<CAAyPE3A3ysJc7ZXqjhfz-ARGobSN0wCXbjr9-fEMTwm-UPWawQ at mail.gmail.com>
Buddha Buck <blaisepascal at gmail.com>

>On Wed Dec 31 2014 at 4:34:51 AM Wm
>  Are you sure you mean an invoice?  Presuming there is no goods or
>  service that you are invoicing for, what happens if someone can't or
>  doesn't pay?  Is there a debt on their account?

>If a church member began the year by making a pledge to make monthly
>contributions to the church, does it create monthly invoices?

I don't know, they don't *in an accounting sense* at an org I'm doing
some work for at the moment.  I met with the auditor a few weeks back
and this came up.  Pledges (to use your term) are budgeted for, e-mail
invoices (variable amounts in their case) are sent out, they are chased
up, etc but there is no invoice in AR (they don't use gnc, yet) if they
don't / can't pay.  All that is done in a spreadsheet, reason being some
affiliate organisations pay more than pledged, others pay what they can
afford at the time, etc.  What they don't do is (in an accounting sense)
say X promised 120 a year and skipped a month and show the 10 as an
asset (unpaid debt) in the statutory accounts and go about writing off
unpaid amounts when people die, etc.

>If a person signs up for an annual gym membership, payable monthly,
>does it create monthly invoices?

Yup.  Probably not a good example as in some cases here in the UK it has
been ruled that not using the gym meant the person didn't have to pay.

>If the answers are different, why?

Because there is a (sometimes) legally enforceable contract.  If someone
changes faith or moves to another town and attends a different church do
they still owe what they pledged?  Can they successfully and legally be
sued?  Is there even a contract?

It probably varies according to jurisdiction and the OP didn't say where
they are AND is it even good PR to chase people that can't afford what
they have pledged because of a change in circumstances, e.g. lost their
job?

>To answer the original question: no, GnuCash does not have the shortcut
>you are asking for. I wish it did, for similar reasons (generating
>monthly invoices for memberships in a not-for-profit).

Memberships are different as, I think, they confer benefits.

>It does, however, have the ability to import invoices from a CSV file.
>You can create a spreadsheet with a row for every member and a column
>for every necessary field for the import, and then monthly update the
>invoice numbers and dates in the spreadsheet, export the spreadsheet as
>a CSV, import the spreadsheet into GnuCash, and you'll have your
>monthly invoices.

Could recurring transactions not be used to good effect here?  It is
going to need to be set up one way or another and it seems to me to make
a significant difference whether they are pro-forma invoices or not.

--
Wm...