Support Assistance

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Dec 31 15:41:18 EST 2014

On 12/31/2014 12:23 PM, Wm wrote:
> Wed, 31 Dec 2014 16:05:00
> <CAAyPE3A3ysJc7ZXqjhfz-ARGobSN0wCXbjr9-fEMTwm-UPWawQ at mail.gmail.com>
> Buddha Buck <blaisepascal at gmail.com>
>
>> On Wed Dec 31 2014 at 4:34:51 AM Wm
>>  Are you sure you mean an invoice?  Presuming there is no goods or
>>  service that you are invoicing for, what happens if someone can't or
>>  doesn't pay?  Is there a debt on their account?
>
>> If a church member began the year by making a pledge to make monthly
>> contributions to the church, does it create monthly invoices?

This in all likelihood depends on the jurisdiction. Especially if as
mentioned, in the UK the person might not owe for the gym membership if
they didn't use the gym.

Here in the US, an actual pledge to a charity is a receivable for the
charity. They might not ever get the money, but so might not a business
for one of its receivable. On the other hand, "membership", "dues", etc.
if a non-profit has those are NOT actually  receivables (there is no
obligation to continue as a church member for example, no legal
obligation to pay).

That said, I know of many churches, synagogues, etc. that do invoice for
congregational membership fees, etc. as well as for pledges because:
1) The packages they use rarely support "non-receivable invoices".
2) Recipients probably prefer a unified statement.
3) The difficulty in case unpaid can be handled by more than one "bad
debt" type account when writing off (one not being "debt" being written
off but "income never received").

Michael D Novack