Importing OFX files with Japanese characters (UTF-8) broken?

Brian Clarkson clarkson at orthogonaldevices.com
Wed Feb 5 00:56:55 EST 2014

Hi All

I'm just starting out with gnucash and liking it a lot. However there
has been one problem. One of my bank accounts is in Japan and the bank
provides OFX files with Japanese characters (namely, in the description
field) that are UTF-8 encoded. It is pretty clear to me that as a
program, gnucash supports Japanese characters via unicode when doing
manual entry, however it seems the 'Generic import transaction matcher'
fails to handle UTF-8.

Here is the header from my OFX file:

OFXHEADER:100
DATA:OFXSGML
VERSION:102
SECURITY:NONE
ENCODING:UTF-8
CHARSET:CSUNICODE
COMPRESSION:NONE
OLDFILEUID:NONE
NEWFILEUID:NONE

Does anyone have any ideas how I can import transactions with Japanese
characters correctly? Should I go to the dev list for this? I am even
willing to go into the codebase to solve this but I would need help
compiling on Windows.

Kind regards,
Brian

--