Recategorizing / bulk acount changing

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 7 13:11:19 EST 2014

Elwood,

This is just a note to offer a different perspective. jcard21's advice is certainly one way to go, and one that many on the list have done in the past. I migrated more in the manner you've described, though.

My experience (8 years ago, mind you, so maybe a little dimmed in memory) was that I used the approach that you did. I used Quicken for 13 years, and wanted my historical data available to me in GnuCash. I found that I could export all my Quicken data in QIF (including accounts and categories), and then import the QIF into GnuCash with a pretty high accuracy.

This worked well for me in part because I was always pretty careful to categorize my transactions in Quicken. However, I found a number of spots where I had missed things, or wanted them to import differently in GnuCash, so I went back into Quicken (which admittedly had better tools for this) and altered the categories and transactions to better match up with what I wanted in GnuCash.

Once I had imported the data into GnuCash, I have not gone back.

Cheers,
David