Recategorizing / bulk acount changing

jcard21 xxxxxxx jcard21+gnucash at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 10:04:49 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 10:10 PM, Elwood <elwoodblues at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> i just hope I'm not reorganizing for 10 years.  I'm trying to move from Quicken 2002 to GnuCash.  My initial import attempt revealed a variety of issues, some of which need to be changes in my import settings, but many of which were simply recategorization/account shifting problems.
...snip...

I've used Managing Your Money by Andrew Tobias (9 years during the
1980s-1990s), Quicken (late 1990s-200x), spreadsheets, and now gnuCash
since 2009.

My suggestion to you:

1) Do NOT try to import historical Quicken data into gnuCash. gnuCash
uses double-entry bookkeeping; Quicken does not. The conversion is not
worth the effort (in my opinion!).

2) From within Quicken, run annual reports of your data and save them
to your computer. Use some report file naming convention like:

ccyymmdd_hhmm_Quicken_ccyy_ABC_Report.txt (or .htm or .pdf ... I
prefer .txt files.)

PS: You should be doing this every quarter/year, anyway!

Back everything up!!!

Use gnuCash from here on in.

---
jcard21