Recording Mortgage Payment

Dr. Ray drray at drraycharles.com
Sun Feb 9 02:19:16 EST 2014

    I just would like to get a second opinion that I am correctly recording
these Mortgage payment

Home Mortgage account

 Increase

Decrease

 I enter the full payment amount as a decrease from the asset:Checking
account. Then I click SPLIT and Repeat this step

 I enter the liability account Loan:Home Mortgage in the decrease column.
The amount I enter is the principal portion of the payment

 I then enter the Interest portion of the payment as an increase using the
Expense:Mortgage interest account

I then click enter and everything looks great, the balance matches the bank
balance.

However when I click enter or click record it creates the Imbalance-USD
account. I then change the Imbalance-USD to the Equity:Retained Earnings
account.

Hope I'm doing this correctly

I then click split and do the following a) I reenter the Asset:Checking
decrease b) I enter the