GnuCash Mail List Archive Search link broken?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 12:47:45 EST 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 3:16 AM, John Gowing <john.gowing at jotrago.co.za>wrote:

>    I wanted to search the archives and followed this link {
>    [1]https://lists.gnucash.org/search/?idxinfo=gnucash-user  } from the
>    GNUCash List Home Page {
>    [2]https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user  }
>    I get a 404 error?

I remember seeing the issue discussed on this list in the past. I suppose a
404 error is an "improvement" over the previous behavior! ;-)

As a workaround you can use Google (or another search engine that provides
similar functionality) and restrict your results just to the GnuCash
archives.

The "root" URL for the archives is at
lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/

SO if you want to search for the exact phrase "deposit slip" in the
archives, you can go to Google.com and enter the following in the search
field:

 site:lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/ "deposit slip"

As you can see when you do this, Google will first list a few "helpful"
sources to purchase deposit slips, but after those you can easily detect
the "hits" for that exact phrase in the GnuCash User list archives.

If other folks have their own favorite search engines it would be
interesting to see their syntax for the same kind of search. Maybe someone
can code the search links into the GnuCash site so this doesn't catch folks
unawares in the future.