403b loan

Christopher Singley csingley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 17:15:03 EST 2014

The 403(b) plan is a trust; its assets are not your assets.  What you own
is an interest in the trust.  It can be convenient to "look through" the
trust and consolidate your portion of the plan's assets onto your own
balance sheet.

If you're consolidating your portion of the plan's assets onto your own
balance sheet, make sure you consolidate the loan asset too.  I suggest you
set up your chart of accounts so you have a liability account that reflects
your 403(b) loan balance, and an asset account that reflects your 403(b)
account balance.  The 403(b) loan receivable from you would be a subaccount
of the 403(b) asset account.

When you borrow money from the plan, you create a liability toward the plan
- debit personal cash, credit payable to 403(b).  On the plan trust's own
books, it now has an asset that is a loan receivable from you - debit
receivable asset, credit plan cash.  That's how the splits go.

When you make payments on the loan, credit your personal cash, debit your
personal liability toward the plan, debit personal interest expense...
debit plan cash, credit plan loan receivable from you, credit plan interest
income.  That's how those splits go.

Just a suggestion.