Python bindings on Mac OS 10.9

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Feb 11 10:41:11 EST 2014

On Feb 11, 2014, at 5:49 AM, R. Victor Klassen <rvklassen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I re-ran jhbuild bootstrap.
>
> I did happen to notice a series of errors go by:
>
> make install DESTDIR=/Users/victor/gnucash-stable/_jhbuild/root-gtk-osx-docbook
> ./install.sh
> sed: RE error: illegal byte sequence
> sed: RE error: illegal byte sequence
> sed: RE error: illegal byte sequence
> sed: RE error: illegal byte sequence
>
> I’m guessing these don’t matter, as it appears to be related to documentation.
>
> After re-bootstrapping, I got a re-tried the ‘which xzcat’ from within jhbuild shell.
>
> /Users/victor/gnucash-stable/bin/xzcat
>
> So I tried a fresh jhbuild build, which semi-failed at osx-docbook - which, again, I guessed was not a problem so I selected option
> 2? (ignore and continue).
>
> Numerous errors occurred when it attempted to build libgcrypt.  All of them being
> mpih-div.c:104:6: error: invalid use of a cast in a inline asm context requiring an l-value: remove the cast or build with -fheinous-gnu-extensions
>
> with various places from which the macro was expanded.  Don’t know whether to build with heinous gnu extensions (for that matter, I’m not sure how to).
>
> Again, took option 2 - which caused it to generate very much the same errors for mpi, at the end of which it complained about an error during the install phase of libgcrypt.
>
> Chose 3 - give up on module.
>
> Several checkout phases failed on the first attempt.  On the second, they appeared to work.
>
> Later…
>
> *** Checking out iso-codes *** [54/56]
> curl --continue-at - -L http://pkg-isocodes.alioth.debian.org/downloads/iso-codes-3.47.tar.xz -o /Users/victor/gtk/source/pkgs/iso-codes-3.47.tar.xz
>   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
>                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
> 100   325  100   325    0     0     82      0  0:00:03  0:00:03 --:--:--    82
> xzcat -d "/Users/victor/gtk/source/pkgs/iso-codes-3.47.tar.xz" | tar xf -
> xzcat: /Users/victor/gtk/source/pkgs/iso-codes-3.47.tar.xz: File format not recognized
> *** Error during phase checkout of iso-codes: could not unpack tarball (expected iso-codes-3.47 dir) *** [54/56]
>
>   [1] Rerun phase checkout
>   [2] Ignore error and continue to configure
>   [3] Give up on module
>   [4] Start shell
>   [5] Reload configuration
>   [6] Go to phase "wipe directory and start over"
> choice: 1
> *** Checking out iso-codes *** [54/56]
> xzcat -d "/Users/victor/gtk/source/pkgs/iso-codes-3.47.tar.xz" | tar xf -
> xzcat: /Users/victor/gtk/source/pkgs/iso-codes-3.47.tar.xz: File format not recognized
> *** Error during phase checkout of iso-codes: could not unpack tarball (expected iso-codes-3.47 dir) *** [54/56]
>
> At which point I chose [3].   It continued, and “finished” shortly thereafter, with
>
> *** module gnucash not built due to non buildable aqbanking *** [56/56]
> [...]

The problem with gtk-doc-utils is that it needs the libxml2 python extensions, and those require manual intervention at the moment, but that's for documentation so you can ignore it for the moment. I've been fiddling with it the last couple of days to try to automate it, but it's so far resisting.

For the heinous gnu extensions, add this to your .jhbuildrc-custom:
    append_autogenargs('libgcrypt', 'CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -fheinous-gnu-extensions"')

alioth.debian.org has been out of commission for  a while. I've uploaded the last iso-codes tarball that I've got to http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/Dependencies/iso-codes-3.47.tar.xz/download, so get it from there and put it in your gtk downloads directory (~/gtk/sources/pkgs is the default location).

Regards,
John Ralls