Advanced Portfolio Report

Richard Ullger rullger at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 06:01:09 EST 2014

On 11/02/14 20:11, Alun Champion wrote:
> Maybe I've missed something.
> Why do we need to distinguish between them. The dividend income
> reduces the cost basis, and the subsequent purchase is treated the
> same as any normal purchase of the stocks (increases number of shares
> and increase cost basis).
> Is there really anything special about the second purchase other that
> it is done automatically and limited to the amount you receive as a
> dividend.

They need to be distinguished because dividend reinvestment should
increase the cost basis but should not be included in the money in
column. This is not money I have put in but has come from an income
distribution.

> The problem with a single transaction is the attribution is wrong. The
> expenses do not reduce the income but increase the cost basis for the
> purchase. Income should remains 374.92, cost basis for the purchase of
> 374.22 (366.95 + expenses)
> Do the expenses get double counted both as an increase in the cost
> basis + a decrease in the income or only the latter? If only the
> latter then the totals still remain correct, but the attribution is
> wrong.

You mean 372.44?. The current report doesn't include expenses in the
basis column but Mike has that covered with a new setting. The income
reflected in the income column is the actual income received and should
not be reduced by the expenses or have I misunderstood your point?

Richard.