Advanced Portfolio Report

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Wed Feb 12 13:14:11 EST 2014

--On February 12, 2014 9:48:26 AM -0600 David Carlson
<david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:

> In the US, your third sentence "The dividend income reduces the cost
> basis..." does not apply to the tax code computation for capital gains
> or losses.  However, round trip (purchase and sale) commissions do
> reduce the cost basis and net capital gain or loss in this country.  I
> believe that is not true in some other countries.  If not, then
> perhaps the report could use an option for US computation versus
> Canada or Australia, for example.

This is the first time I've heard of dividends affecting the basis.
The report has no provision for that.

I'm adding an option to control whether commissions and other fees
affect the basis (US style) or not.  In order to fix this and other
problems, I've had to rewrite the main loop in the report (it was
getting very convoluted).  The new version is running now, but needs
more testing.  I'll let you know when it's ready to try.

       Mike